Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Carrot Craze





Stacey and I got Mama and Papa on Tuesday, September 27 (my birthday!). We took them home and started observing. We noticed that most of the time they stayed down under the soil when it was bright out. When we would come into the room and it was dark and then turned the light on they would be up on top of the soil moving around. We frequently caught them with Papa on top of Mama during those times. At night they would stay out even when the light was on in the room but during the day they stayed under the soil almost the whole time.
We kept giving them the green food (it looks like jello and smells like pears). I started to wonder though if they might like a change so I broke a baby carrot in half and stuck in there. They were both out on top of the soil that night (September 29th) and I stuck the carrot next to Mama. She moved her antenna around touching the carrot. Then her head emerged and she went crazy! I hadn't seen her head yet. She ate a large portion of the carrot half that night and it continued to dwindle over the next few days. I never say Papa eating it. Mama used what looked like pincers by her head to grab the carrot and eat it.
Unfortunately my camera and my photography skills are not even close to equal to Meredith's but I did get a few pictures of Mama eating the carrot.

No comments:

Post a Comment